Archivi mensili : Ottobre 2014
The Importance of Sleep For Your Skin
27 Ottobre 2014
We’re constantly bombarded with lists of things that are good for our skin, such as eating the right foods, using the right products and avoiding certain ingredients. But sometimes one of the most simple factors of good skin is often overlooked: sleep. Sleep is important not just for your health and well-being, but for your skin as well. They call it “beauty sleep” for a reason, right? Here are a few reasons why sleep is important for great skin.
- It prevents a variety of beauty blunders. If you suffer from dark circles under your eyes, puffy eyelids, bloodshot eyes- just to name a few- it could be because you are not getting enough sleep. Simply sleeping more can reduce these issues with no makeup needed.
- It can reduce stress. Not getting enough sleep can lead you to become cranky or extra stressed, which not only shows in your personality, but on your face as well. Many women breakout when stressed, which is not a fun thing to go through.
- It’s free. Unlike expensive spa treatments or that hard-to-find nighttime skincare serum, sleep is free!
- It lets your skin repair itself. While you sleep, your skin renews itself and repairs. New skin cells grow and replace older cells.
- It helps to prevent aging and wrinkles. Lack of sleep leads to increased levels of stress hormones in the body. Chronic high levels of stress hormones in the body cause increased inflammation within the skin that subsequently leads to an acceleration of aging and wrinkles. f
Does Your Skin Need a Deep Cleansing?
26 Ottobre 2014
There are a variety of facial treatments out there, but which ones do you really need? Something simple like a light exfoliating mask is usually helpful for everyone’s skin, but something like a chemical peel should be reserved only for those with certain skin issues and skin types. This posts focuses on deep cleansing treatments and how to know when/if you need one and what a deep cleansing may entail.
What is a deep cleansing treatment?
A deep cleansing treatment, which may sometimes be referred to as a deep cleansing facial at some spas, is a treatment performed by skincare experts to give your skin a deep cleaning by going beyond the skin’s outermost layers to clean your skin and eliminate blackheads and prevent acne.
How do I know if I need a deep cleansing treatment?
People who could use a deep cleansing treatment include those with very oily or acne-prone skin. If traditional methods of extracting blackheads and dirt don’t work on you (such as exfoliating products or blackhead-eliminating products), then a deep cleansing may be useful. If you have uneven skin texture or color, this treatment could be of great help as well. Be sure to tell the person performing the facial of your skin concerns and skin type so they can cater to your needs.
Why should I get a deep cleansing treatment?
These professional facial treatments get beneath the surface- something which regular products can’t always do. Deep cleansing facials will help kill bacteria beneath your skin, where your everyday cleanser can’t reach. These treatments will give you clearer, brighter and healthier-looking skin.
How can I give myself a deep cleansing treatment?
You can give yourself a simpler version of the spa’s facials with a few products. First off, use a gentle cleanser to wipe away makeup and bacteria and start with a clean slate. Then, exfoliate to get rid of dead skin. Open up your pores with a bowl of steaming hot water and let your face hang over it for 15 minutes. Then, apply a deep cleaning mask by following the directions on the tube/bottle. Remove the mask and apply a light toner to your skin. Add a serum (if needed), eye cream and then a moisturizer.
What is REALLY In Your Makeup?
20 Ottobre 2014
Every day, we slather on lotions and apply various beauty products our face. Most of the time we don’t even bother looking at the ingredients of the skincare and makeup products we use so often. “What you don’t know can’t hurt you” isn’t always 100% true. Harmful chemicals and toxins can irritate skin, causing rashes, allergic reactions or acne (to name a few).
So what are the bad things your makeup may already contain? Lead acetate can be found in some hair dyes and cleansers, formaldehyde is commonly found in nail products, phthalates (plasticizing chemicals that are probable human reproductive or developmental toxins and endocrine disruptors) are found in some fragrances and hair spray, parabens (a group of compounds widely used as anti-microbial preservatives) are often found in cosmetics products, and mercury can be found in mascaras.
In addition to the things above, makeup and skincare products can also contain toxins, various chemicals, fragrances and oils- some of which can irritate the skin and cause reactions to some people. It’s always better to be safe than sorry and to prevent these reactions and harmful side effects but choosing products that have ingredients you are aware of.
So what should you do to avoid these products? First of all, read the labels of everything you buy. If you don’t recognize an ingredient, look it up and research it. Be aware of bogus marketing claims and always look for clinical tests run by doctors to confirm any statistics. Always opt for an unscented product made without dyes- this will lower your chances of a negative skin reaction. Lastly, keep your routine simple. Something such as organic, all-natural coconut oil can be used in many different ways- as a moisturizer, makeup remover, etc. Using fewer products ultimately saves you money, time and a possible negative reaction.
Healthy Skin= No Need for Foundation
19 Ottobre 2014
It can be frustrating to have to splurge on expensive foundation that doesn’t even work to cover up your skin’s problems. Not to mention finding the perfect formula and shade is extremely difficult, and that foundation can often feel cakey and make your skin feel like it can’t breathe. If you could get away with not wearing foundation, would you?
Most women would answer “yes” to the question above, which is proof of how important it is to take good care of your skin. Healthy skin allows you to get away with wearing little to NO foundation at all. Here are a few tips to help you clear up your skin and wear less foundation.
- Determine your skin type. So many women are not aware of their skin type (oil, dry, combination), so they are constantly using products that don’t work for them. Read up online, in your favorite magazine, or ask a dermatologist to help you determine your skin type. From there, look for products made specifically to tackle your skin type and problem areas, and stay away from the others.
- Develop a skin routine. Using products daily and as the directions say will increase your chances of the product actually working for you. Make sure to add exfoliation into your routine, as well as moisturizing. These two steps are crucial for most skin types- just make sure to cater to products that match your skin type, as mentioned above.
- Let your skin breathe. If you’re staying at home all day and have no plans, try to let your skin breathe by not wearing any makeup that day. Your skin needs time to be pure and clean of cosmetics and chemicals. As soon as you get home from work and any other commitments, remove your makeup (specifically your foundation and other skincare products) with a gentle cleanser and pat dry. Before putting any nighttime products on, give your skin a few hours to be bare.
Foods That Protect Your Skin From Pollutants
13 Ottobre 2014
To get that perfect, healthy and glowing skin, you need to exhibit a healthy lifestyle and take care of yourself. One of the most overlooked factors in skin care that can affect the health of your skin is pollution. Whether it’s dirt, dust, smog or other more harmful chemicals and particles in the air are great threats to healthy skin. Here are a few food and ingredients that you can consume to help protect your skin from pollutants.
- Foods with antioxidants help to block free-radical activity in your body. Antioxidants can prevent or slow oxidative damage to the body. Including antioxidant-rich foods in our diet can help, so fill up on the following: blueberries, kidney beans, squash, leafy greens, cranberries, artichokes, pecans and more. Eating a diet rich in antioxidants can help against the damaging effects of pollution.
- Many skincare products contain antioxidant ingredients, such as vitamins A, C, and E, provide various benefits. Foods to consume with a high vitamin A makeup include sweet potatoes, carrots, kale, and cantaloupe. Foods with a large amount of vitamin C are bell peppers, broccoli, strawberries, brussel sprouts and more. Finally, foods with enough vitamin E for your daily intake include tofu, spinach, almonds, avocados, shrimp and more.
- Water. Drink plenty of water and consume foods (such as fruits and vegetables) with a high-water content.